Mean Temp 28.6°C 83.48°F at Taegu
February 7, 1950 (Tuesday)
- The United States gave diplomatic recognition to the newly established French-supported governments in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia with the aim to help "the establishment of stable, non-Communist governments in areas adjacent to Communist China".
- Died: D. K. Broster, 72, British historical novelist
Today David K. Niles wrote a letter to the President warning:
that the racial imbalance which had for so long frustrated equal treatment and opportunity for Negroes in the Army would continue despite the Army's new assignment policy unless the Army was able to raise the quality of its black enlistees.
Songs of the week
- Dear Hearts and Gentle People - Dinah Shore
- A Dreamerís Holiday - Perry Como
- The Old Master Painter - Snooky Lanson
- Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy - Red Foley
CVA 42 USS Franklin D. Roosevelt
P2V with JTO
In a demonstration of carrier long-range attack capabilities, a P2V-3C Neptune, with Commander Thomas Robinson in command, took off from Franklin D. Roosevelt off Jacksonville, Fla., and flew over Charleston, S.C., the Bahamas, the Panama Canal, up the coast of Central America and over Mexico to land next day at the Municipal Airport, San Francisco, Calif. The flight, which covered 5,060 miles in 25 hours, 59 minutes, was the longest ever made from a carrier deck. [note]