Mean Temp 28.6°C 83.48°F at Taegu
February 15, 1950 (Wednesday)
- Walt Disney released his 12th animated film, Cinderella, with a premiere in Boston, followed on February 22 in other major cities. The very successful film marked a "profitable return to the fairy tale" for Disney after the losing money on Fantasia and Bambi.
- Sardi's, a restaurant in the Theater District of Manhattan, began the tradition of hosting opening-night parties for plays premiering on Broadway, starting with a celebration for the cast and crew following Come Back, Little Sheba.
- Come Back, Little Sheba made its debut on Broadway, as the first play for William Inge. Actors Shirley Booth and Sidney Blackmer would both win Tony Awards for their performances in the play, which ran for 190 performances, and Booth would win an Academy Award two years later when she reprised her role as "Lola" in the film version of the play.
- Born: Tsui Hark (Tsui Man-kong), Hong Kong film director, in Haifeng, China
After ordering 595 aircraft yesterday, today the PLAAF order another 628 from the USSR. For a total at this point of 1,223 aircraft. [none]
Songs of the week
- Dear Hearts and Gentle People - Bing Crosby
- The Old Master Painter - Snooky Lanson
- There’s No Tomorrow - Tony Martin
- Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy - Red Foley
In Moscow today the treaty that was signed yesterday is today made public. This "peace and universal security" agreement states that in the event either country is attacked, one will come to the aid of the other:
"a state which indirectly or directly unites with Japan in acts of aggression," or where "important international questions touching on the mutual interests of the Soviet Union and China exist."
The United States believes this to indicate should Formosa be attacked by China, and if the US were to intervene and come to Chiang Kai-shek's defense, Russia would come to China's aid. [note] Remember last month truman's administration distanced themselves from both Korea and Formosa because no one wanted a land-war in Asia.