Korean Climate

Mean Temp 10°C 50°F at Taegu    

Heavy Overcast

1950 Pacific Typhoon Season

Korea Temps - 1950-1953 - Station 143 (Daegu)


April 5, 1950 (Wednesday)

Between 25 November 1949 and 5 April 1950 , operations with the HRP were halted as all aircraft of that model were grounded for mechanical reasons.


Sikorsky S-51

Nevertheless, during December, Carey's squadron experimented for the first time in night flying with the H03S. For the evaluation, each pilot was given two 45-minute periods of local flying during which a portion of the time was spent in making landings in an area marked by flare pots. As a result of the night flying experiment, a request was sent to BuAer for landing lights and instruments adequate for night flying. These items were considered essential by the squadron before any large-scale night helicopter operations could be undertaken.53


As HRPs were still not available during February 1950, the squadron sent four HO3S-ls and the one HLT-2 as a detachment to the Naval Air Facility (NAF), Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico on the 11th of the month to participate in the Fleet Marine Force, Atlantic (FMFLant) Fleet Exercise, 1950. Later, on the nearby island of Vieques, during the amphibious landing, an HO3S directed the landing boats during their movement toward the beach by means of an externally mounted speaker system. 54 Other than this novel experiment, all aspects of the amphibious operation were routine.


The HRPs returned to operational status in April after the long grounding period due to a problem with the mid-transmission oil pump. During that month, for the Sixth Joint Civilian Orientation Conference at Quantico, and for Operation CROSSOVER, a 2nd Marine Division maneuver held at Camp Lejeune, HMX-1 per- formed similar missions of delivering infantry troops and 75mm pack howitzers into specified landing areas . Also demonstrated by the helicopters were the techniques of wire laying, resupply, and the evacuation of the "wounded."55




It was 5 April before the board's new chairman, J. Thomas Schneider,[15-11]

issued a revised directive to this effect.[15-12]

The board's decision to accept an applicant's declaration was simply a return to the reasonable and practical method the Selective Service had been using for some time. But adopting the vague qualification "sufficient justification" invited further complaints. When the services finally translated the board's directive into a new regulation, the role of the applicant in deciding his racial identity (p. 384) was practically abolished. In the Army and the Air Force, for example, recruiters had to submit all unresolved identity cases to the highest local commander, whose decision, supposedly based on available documentary evidence and answers to the questions first suggested by  Congressman Holifield, was final. Further, the Army and the Air Force decided that "no enlistment would be accomplished" until racial identity was decided to the satisfaction of both the applicant and the service.[15-13]




Maj. Gen. James H. Burns, Secretary Johnson's assistant for foreign military affairs, put the matter to the State Department, and James Evans followed up by discussing it with Rusk.

Reassured by these consultations, Secretary Johnson issued a more definitive policy statement for the services on 5 April explaining that "the Department of State endorses the policy of freely assigning Negro personnel or Negro or non-segregated units to any part of the world to which US forces are sent; it is prepared to support the desires of the Department of Defense in this respect."[15-32]


Notes for Wednesday April 5, 1950