Mean Temp 18.4°C 65.12°F at Taegu
May 24, 1950 (Wednesday)
- The U.S. Maritime Administration was created as an agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce).
- Ingrid Bergman and Roberto Rossellini were married by proxy in Juarez, Mexico, where four attorneys appeared on their behalf, while the couple remained in Rome.
- A Lansa Airways airplane crashed into the side of the 8,000 foot Galeras volcano in Colombia, five miles west of the village of Pasto. Only one of the 29 people on board survived, a little girl who was seriously injured.
- France restored the official recognition of Mother's Day, with provision that the Fête des Mères would take place annually on the last Sunday in May. Article II of the legislation provided that if Pentecost fell on that Sunday (which last happened in 2009), Mother's Day would be observed on the first Sunday of June.
- Died: Archibald Wavell, 1st Earl Wavell, 67, Viceroy of India 1943-1947