Mean Temp 17.9°C 64.22°F at Taegu
May 27, 1950 (Saturday)
- The Journal of the American Medical Association published its first articles showing a link between cigarette smoking and an increased risk of lung cancer. "Tobacco Smoking as a Possible Etiological Factor in Bronchogenic Carcinoma: A Study of Six Hundred and Eighty-Four Proved Cases" was by Ernest L. Wynder and Dr. Evarts A. Graham, while "Cancer and Tobacco Smoking: A Preliminary Report" was authored by Drs. Morton L. Levin, Hyman Goldstein and Paul R. Gerhardt.
- Gasoline rationing came to an end in the United Kingdom after nearly eleven years, one day after British Fuel Minister Philip Noel-Baker declared that the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey (now Exxon) would supply more fuel if rationing ceased. The limitations on sales had begun after September 3, 1939, the day of Britain's entry into World War II.
- King Frederik IX of Denmark signed legislation that adopted the recommendations of the Grønlandskommissionen (Greenland Commission) for changing the status of Denmark's colony in Greenland, including an end to the control of half of the island exercised by KGH (Kongelige Grønlandske Handel), the Royal Greenland Trading Department. In 1953, Greenland would be elevated from the status of colony to an autonomous province.
- The Society of Women Engineers was founded by 50 female engineers at the Cooper Union in New York.
- Born: Dee Dee Bridgewater, American jazz singer as Denise Eileen Garrett in Memphis, Tennessee
On May 27, 1950, Australia withdrew her troops from the occupation forces.
I cited them in these words:
From their distinguished Commander-in-Chief to the last man in the ranks they have rendered model service worthy of the luster of the great nation that bred them. In peace they have emulated their conduct in war and I can pay them no greater tribute than that. I am proud indeed to have been associated with them through the long years of the past decade and will bid them a last farewell with an emotion I cannot express.
With the formation of the Republic of Korea and the withdrawal of American forces, my official connection with Korea ceased.