Barszcz, Michael "Mike"
[Capt. CO G19thIR]


19th IR G Company

Barszcz, Anthony [Capt. SS CO G19thIR]

Silver Star

Awarded for actions during the Korean War

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Captain (Infantry) Anthony Barszcz (ASN: 0-1301926), United States Army, for gallantry in action as Commanding Officer, Company G, 19th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, in action against an armed enemy on 16 August 1950, in the vicinity of the Naktong River, Korea. Company G in conjunction with Company E of the 19th Infantry Regiment launched an attack on Ohang Hill in the face of severe enemy resistance.

 Counterattacking the friendly troops, the enemy successfully out-flanked the two companies and gained the high ground to the left and right. Their automatic weapons fire cut off the forward elements of Company E and pinned down the remnants of the two rifle companies. Captain Barszcz, realizing the severity of the enemy's actions, exposed himself repeatedly while moving among his men in an attempt to rally them to renew their efforts. Although numerically outnumbered by a determined enemy, the friendly forces succeeded in repulsing the attack and continued on until their assigned objectives were secured. Only then did he seed medical aid for wounds received during this action. The superior leadership, courage, and unhesitant devotion to duty displayed by Captain Barszcz, all with complete disregard for his own safety, served well to inspire his men and reflects the greatest credit upon himself and the military service.

General Orders:

Headquarters, 24th Infantry Division,

General Orders No. 139 (September 22, 1950)

Action Date: August 16, 1950

Service: Army

Rank: Captain

Company: Company G

Regiment: 19th Infantry Regiment

Division: 24th Infantry Division





July 16,  1950 1300

McGrail  managed to crawl away from his wrecked jeep and escape south unhurt. Later in the day Dean named him to temporary command of what was left of the 19th. A second effort to break the roadblock, led by a tough and skilled company commander, Michael Barszcz, was called off just as Barszcz made contact with the NKPA.[5-37]




July 26, 1950

As he set up his blocking position at Chinju, Ned Moore was simultaneously reorganizing and trying to re-man the decimated 19th. He had no exec; that slot was being held open for the wounded Chan Chandler, who was expected to return. Meanwhile, the S-3, Ed Logan, was filling in as exec. West Pointer (1942) Elliott C. Cutler, Jr., a veteran of the ETO, replaced Logan as S-3.

The 1/19 (down to about 300 men) was now temporarily commanded by Robert L. Rhea, forty.

Tom McGrail had reverted to command of the 2/19 (about 300 men).

Despite the heavy losses sustained among the junior officers, Moore found a few good, strong combat leaders still in place - for example, Mike Barszcz.[6-67]