Bohn, Robert Dewey
[1stLt G5thMR]




First Lieutenant Robert Dewey Bohn, commander of Company G, deployed his 2nd and 3rd Platoons on Hill 99, to the west and across the valley from 255. He arranged his defenses to block the approaches from the high ground on his north (actually an extension of Hill 99) and from the valley to the west, separating him from massive Hill 342.[4]


August 7, 1950 1015

WHILE 2/5 AND the 1st Platoon of Company G were fighting the enemy and weather on 7 August, Lieutenant Colonel Taplett’s 3rd Battalion sat out an ominous calm at Chindong-ni. From their positions on Hills 255 and 99, Captain Fegan and Lieutenant Bohn periodically called for supporting fires to check enemy movement in the northern approaches to the village.

At 1015 Second Lieutenant Lawrence W. Hetrick and his 3rd Platoon, Company A Engineers, completed the laying of the first Marine minefield, located across the Haman road a half mile above Chindong-ni.[1]

August 7, 1950 1300

Lieutenant Colonel Newton’s 1st Battalion reached the village in the afternoon of the 7th and relieved Company G’s two platoons on Hill 99. Bohn took his company back across the valley and deployed on the lower slopes of 255 facing the Haman road.

August 8, 1950 0530

These positions were hit by close-in sniper fire during the night of 7–8 August, and at dawn the Marine infantrymen were startled to discover four N.K. soldiers emplaced less than 100 yards away in the valley. Both the enemy position and its occupants were quickly destroyed.[2]


August 11, 1950 0544


The enemy had different plans. At the crack of dawn a small force of North Koreans emerged from the fog and charged recklessly into Company G’s front. There was a furious hand-to-hand clash as the attackers converged on Bohn’s OP in the center of the line. The company commander directed the defense amid grenade explosions, one of which drove a fragment into his shoulder. At his side Staff Sergeant Charles F. Kurtz, Jr., called down effective 60-mm. mortar fire on the Reds while throwing grenades and ducking sub machinegun bursts.



Bohn, a native of Neenah, Wisconsin, graduated with a B.S. degree from the University of San Francisco and a M.S. degree from George Washington University. He would marry Anne Serocca and have two children. Bohn died November 3, 2002 and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.


During World War II, Bohn served aboard the USS Monterey (CVL-26) and would participate in the Battle of Iwo Jima and the Battle of Okinawa. Later he would serve as an aide to Omar Bradley and the Korean War, where he participated in the Battle of Inchon. After the Korean War, he would serve as a regiment commander during the Vietnam War and as commander of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune. He retired in 1974.

Awards he received include the Silver Star with award star, the Legion of Merit, and the Purple Heart.

Sports Club Owner Robert D. Bohn, 80, a retired Marine Corps Major General who founded the Courts Royal Raquetball Clubs in the 1970s and helped operate the five Washington area locations before selling the business in the early 1990s, died of pneumonia November 3, 2002 at Fairfax Nursing Center.

He lived in Alexandria, Virginia, from the 1970s until moving to Falls Church in the 1990s.

General Bohn, a native of Neenah, Wisconsin, received a bachelor's degree from the University of San Francisco and a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University.

He served aboard the USS Monterey during World War II in the Pacific and participated in the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

During the Korean War, he commanded a company that took part in battles around Pusan perimeter and participated in the lead assault during the landing at Inchon.

In the 1950s, he was naval aide to General Omar Bradley, then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

He later served as a tactics instructor at Camp Pendelton, California, and at Quantico. He later had commands at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, and attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.

He commanded a regiment in Vietnam in the late 1960s in the Da Nang area.

In his final command before his retirement in 1974, he was Commanding General of Camp Lejeune.

Among his decorations were two awards of the Legion of Merit, two Silver Stars and two Purple Hearts.

He founded Courts Royal in 1974 with Walter Cuenin. The business expanded to locations in Alexandria, Merrifield, Richmond, Bethesda and Gaithersburg.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, the former Anne M. Serocca of Falls Church; two daughters, Barbara Kostial of Remer, Minn., and Nancy Kellogg of Northborough, Mass.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.



On Sunday, November 3, 2002. Beloved husband of Anne M. Bohn; father of Barbara Kostial and Nancy Kellogg. Survived by four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held at the Fort Myer Chapel on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 at 11 a.m. Interment Arlington National Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to The Alzheimer's Family Day Center, 2036 Westmoreland St., Falls Church, VA 22043 or the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation.