Crabb, Jarred V.
[MajGen DCoSg-3 FEAF]



in June 1949 he became deputy chief of staff for operations of the Far East Air Forces, with headquarters at Tokyo, Japan.


From May 1930 until 1942, General Crabb served in various assignments in the United States, Panama Canal Zone and Newfoundland, where he was commanding officer of Gander Air Force Base.

In November 1942, then Colonel Crabb was named commander of a bombardment group at Columbia, S.C., and accompanied that group to the South Pacific theater. In September 1943, Brigadier General Crabb became chief of staff of the Fifth Bomber Command and a month later was assigned to headquarters of an advanced echelon of the Fifth Air Force. He rejoined the Fifth Bomber Command in February 1944 and in April 1944 assumed command. Later he became commander of the 314th Composite wing.

In September 1946 General Crabb became deputy commander of the Ninth Air Force at Greenville, S.C. He assumed command of the 13th Air Force at Clark Air Force Base, Luzon, Philippine Islands, in November 1948 and


in June 1949 he became deputy chief of staff for operations of the Far East Air Forces, with headquarters at Tokyo, Japan.


KOREAN WAR (1 of 2)9/6/2004 9:08:21 AM

In January 1952 General Crabb became chief of staff of the Air Defense Command at Ent Air Force Base, Colo.

End of War

He held that position until July 23, 1954, at which time Major General Crabb assumed command of Central Air Defense Force, with headquarters at Richards-Gebaur Air Force base, Mo.

On 14 July 1958, General Crabb assumed duties as chief of staff, Headquarters Air Defense Command, Ent Air Force Base, Colorado Springs, Colo.


Retired, Died July 25, 1981

June 25, 1950 1000

biography   biography

Brig. Gen. Jared V. Crabb, Deputy Chief of Staff for Far East Air Forces, telephoned Brig. Gen. Edwin K. Wright, Assistant Chief of Staff, G-3, Far East Command, about 1030 and the two compared information.

June 25, 1950 1500

biography  biography

Thereafter throughout the day the two men (Ambassador Muccio and ROK President Syngman Rhee's) were in constant communication with each other on the direct line they maintained between their offices. Most of the messages to Tokyo during 25 June came to the U.S. Air Force from Kimp'o Airfield, and there was a constant stream of them. By 1500 in the afternoon both Crabb and Wright were convinced that the North Koreans were engaged in a full-scale invasion of South Korea. [04-2]

June 26, 1950

biography   biography   biography

At 0045 hours on 26 June Brig. Gen. Jarred V. Crabb, the FEAF Director of Operations, awakened General Partridge with a telephone call: General MacArthur had ordered FEAF to provide fighter cover while the freighters loaded and withdrew from Inch'ŏn. The fighters were to remain offshore at all times, but they were to shoot in defense of the freighters.

General Partridge instructed the 8th Fighter-Bomber Wing to furnish the freighters with combat air patrols. Within a few minutes, however, Fifth Air Force operations let General Crabb know that Colonel Price anticipated difficulties. This patrol work was a job for long-range conventional aircraft, not for the speedy but fuel-hungry jets. Colonel Price's 68th Fighter All-Weather Squadron had twelve operational F-82's, but he needed more aircraft than this. The Fifth Air Force first asked if it would not be possible to use the RAAF No. 77 Squadron's Mustangs, but General Crabb replied that the British had not yet taken a stand in the Korean war. The Fifth Air Force therefore ordered the 339th Fighter All-Weather Squadron to move its combat-ready F-82's from Yokota to Itazuke. This was still not enough of the long-range fighters, and General Crabb ordered the Twentieth Air Force to send eight of the 4th Squadron's planes up to Itazuke from Okinawa. To clear his ramps to receive these additional fighters, Colonel Price moved the contingent of C-54's from Itazuke to nearby Ashiya.