Reed, Frank M. [1stLt SS A2ndECB]

Reed, Frank M.

General Orders No. 112 - 18 May 1951

The Silver Star is awarded to Captain Frank M. Reed, 01557895, (then First Lieutenant), Corps of Engineers, Army of the United States, a member of Headquarters, (then Company A) , 2d Engineer Combat Battalion, 2d Infantry Division, who displayed gallantry in action against an armed enemy on 1 September 1950 in the vicinity of Yongsan, Korea. On that date Captain Reedís platoon was defending its positions against repeated attacks by a numerically superior enemy force. After suffering heavy casualties, the platoon was pinned down by intense enemy automatic weapons fire. Perceiving that the sheer weight of the enemy onslaught was threatening the success of the defensive action, Captain Reed circled the flank of the enemyís automatic weapons position and opened fire with his carbine. Under his accurate fire 27 enemy fell dead, and remnants, demoralized by his audacious, single-handed charge, fled in disorder. The gallantry displayed by Captain Reed reflects great credit upon himself and the military service. Entered the military service from Montana.


September 1, 1950

On the morning of 1 September, with only the shattered remnants of E Company at hand, the  9th Infantry had virtually no troops to defend Yŏngsan. General Keiser in this emergency attached the 2nd Engineer Combat Battalion to the regiment. The 72nd Tank Battalion and the 2nd Division Reconnaissance Company also were assigned positions close to Yŏngsan.  John G. Hill planned to place the engineers on the chain of low hills that arched around Yŏngsan on the northwest.

Capt. Frank M. Reed, commanding officer of A Company, 2nd Engineer Combat Battalion, led his company westward on the south side of the Yŏngsan-Naktong River road; Lt. Lee E. Beahler with D Company of the 2nd Engineer Battalion was on the north side of the road. Approximately two miles west of Yŏngsan an estimated 300 enemy troops engaged A Company in a fire fight. Two quad-50's and one twin-40 gun carrier of the 82nd AAA Battalion supported Reed's men in this action, which lasted several hours.