August 15, 1950
From Kŏmam-ni a 2-mile-wide belt of rice paddy land extended north four miles to the Nam River. On the west of this paddy land a broken spur of P'il-bong, dominated by 900-foot-high Sibidang-san, dropped down to the Nam. Sibidang-san provided excellent observation, and artillery emplaced in the Kŏmam-ni area could interdict the road junction at Chungam-ni. Colonel Fisher, therefore, selected the Sibidang-Kŏmam-ni position for his 35th Infantry Regiment in the northern part of the 25th Division defense line.
The 35th Regiment line extended from a point two miles west of Kŏmam-ni to the Nam River and then turned east along that stream to its confluence with the Naktong. It was a long regimental line-about 26,000 yards. [20-1]
The artillery, accompanied by the 3d Battalion, 29th Infantry
[3rd Battalion, 29th now 3rd Battalion, 35th Infantry????], , withdrew from Chinju north of the Nam River, crossing to the south side at Uiryŏng, and went into an assembly area at Kŏmam-ni (Saga) shortly after noon. There it received an airdrop message from General Church ordering it to return to the vicinity of Chinju.