Place Names

Tsuiki Air Base, Kyushu Japan

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tsuiki Air Field
Tsuiki Hikōjō
File:Tsuiki Air Base Aerial Photograph.jpg
Airport type Military
Operator Japan Air Self-Defense Force
Location Tsuiki, Japan
Elevation AMSL 55 ft / 17 m
Coordinates 3341′06″N 13102′25″E / 
33.68500N 131.04028E /
33.68500; 131.04028
3341′06″N 13102′25″E /
33.68500N 131.04028E /
33.68500; 131.04028
Direction Length Surface
m ft
07/25 2,400 7,874 Concrete
Source: Japanese AIP at AIS Japan

Tsuiki Air Field (築城飛行場, Tsuiki Hikōjō) (ICAO: RJFZ) is a military aerodrome of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force Tsuiki Airbase (築城基地, Tsuiki Kichi). It is located in Tsuiki, Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan.


Western Air Defense Force


Tsuiki Airfield was originally built by the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force during World War II. The airfield was attacked by USAAF Fifth Air Force B-24 Liberator and A-26 Invader bombers on 7 August 1945, largely destroying the base and incapacitating the airfield for operational use.

Not rebuilt in the immediate postwar era, the old IJAAF airfield was pressed into use during the early days of the Korean War, when the United States Air Force 8th Fighter Group moved F-51 Mustangs to Tsuiki in mid-August 1950 for operations over the South Korean Pusan Perimeter. When airfields became available in South Korea, the unit moved to Suwon AB (K-13) to conduct ground support operations.

In addition, the 35th Fighter Group, one of the first USAF units deployed to South Korea, pulled out of the line for F-51 replacement aircraft and personnel R&R at Tsuiki in mid-August. In October, it returned to the South Korean battlefield, moving with the 8th FG to Suwon AB.

After its reactivation, Tsuiki Air Base became a second-line USAF facility for the remainder of the Korean War, hosting several weather squadrons, with the 6169th Air Base Squadron being the main host support unit, and supervising construction of new runways and support buildings. After the combat in Korea ended in 1953, it remained a reserve base until being returned to Japanese control in June 1957.