NKPA 12th Division

Division Organization


12th Division Organization



Rank Name From To Status

G-1 Personnel
G-2 Intelligence
G-3 Plan sand Operations
G-4 Logistics



30th Regiment

31st Regiment

32nd Regiment




12th KPA Division


After the 7th KPA Division suffered extremely heavy losses early in the war, it received replacements and was redesignated the 12th KPA Division on or about 2-4 July 1950. The redesignation may have been due to the relief of its commander because the Division was far behind schedule during its advance in eastern Korea in early July 1950.

On 19 August 1950 the remnants of the 766th Independent Regiment were absorbed into the division. It consisted of the 30th, 31st, and 32nd Infantry Regiments.


Regiments 30, 31, 32



Korean War Order of Battle, United States, United Nations, and Communi8st Ground, Naval, and Air Forces, 1950-1953 Gordon L. Rottman Praeger Publishers, 88 Post Road West, Westport, CT 06881 An imprint of Greenwood Publishing Group, Inc. www.praeger.com

The DPRK 12th Division was not formed until 4 July 1950, following the decimation of the 7th Division.  At the same time a new commander was named.

On 19 August 1950 the 766th Independent Regiment, was merged into the 12th Division which now consisted of the 30th, 31st and 32nd Regiments.



12th Infantry Division

Active July 1949 - Country Democratic People's Republic of Korea Branch Army Type Infantry 12th Infantry Division was a division of the Korean People's Army during the 20th Century.

Formation and early history

It was activated in Wŏnsan and was initially composed of the Northeast Volunteer Army, Chinese 15th Division and was initially composed of the 30th, 31st and 32nd Infantry Regiments. The unit was initially equipped with vehicles attained by North Korea from the Soviet Union shortly after April 1950.

2 July 1950

In April 1950, the People's Republic of China returned 12,000 more veterans of the CCF to Korea where they formed the 7th Division (redesignated the 12th about July 2, 1950).[1]

Artillery units of the 12th Division, at the time of the division's activation at Wŏnsan in April or May 1950, were composed of battle-seasoned Korean veterans from the Chinese Communist Army.[2]

13 July 1950

On the next corridor eastward, the N.K. 12th Division carried the main burden of the attack all the way south from the Parallel to the upper Han River. Some of its advanced troops crossed the river on the [13] July and

14 July 1950

 the division captured the river crossing at Tanyang on the 14th.

August 5

 A tabulation of estimated enemy strength by major units as of 5 August follows: [15-58]

Unit Strength
1st Division 5,000
2nd Division 7,500
3rd Division 6,000
4th Division 7,000
5th Division 6,000
6th Division 3,600
8th Division 8,000
12th Division 6,000
13th Division 9,500
15th Division 5,000
105th Armored Division (40 tanks) 3,000
83rd Motorized Regiment (detachedfrom 105th Armored Division) 1,000
766th Independent Infantry Regiment 1,500

No reliable figures are available for the number of enemy tanks destroyed and for tank troop casualties of the 105th Armored Division by 5 August, but certainly they were high. There were only a few tank replacements during July.


The 12th Division part of the North Korean advance from Sŏul to Taejon during the Korean War. It also fought in the Battle of Pusan Perimeter. During this fight it suffered such heavy losses it merged with the N.K. 766th Infantry Regiment to regain its strength.[3]


August 9, 1950

The 8th Division drove down the Uisŏng road toward Yŏngch'ŏn, the 12th Division plunged into the mountains southeast of Andong and headed for P'ohang-dong, the 766th Independent Regiment left the coastal road at Yŏngdök and swung southwest into the mountains toward Kigye and An'gang-ni, and the 5th Division drove down the coastal road from Yŏngdök, with some of its infantry units infiltrating through the mountains around the ROK 3rd Division. [18-2]

Next in line eastward, the N.K. 12th Division, now bearing the honorary name, "The Andong Division," crossed the upper Naktong at Andong and plunged into the mountains in an effort to carry out its orders to capture P'ohang-dong. Its fighting strength was only a fraction of what it had once been. At this time the 2nd Battalion of the Artillery Regiment sent all its artillery pieces back to Tanyang on the upper Han River because of failure to obtain ammunition for them. [18-5]

August 19, 1950

On Pihak-san, a 2,400-foot rugged peak six miles due north of Kigye, the 12th Division reorganized. In this reorganization, the 766th Independent Regiment lost its identity, its troops being distributed among the three regiments of the 12th Division.


16 September 1950

On September 16, in the I Corps sector, elements of the Capital Division fought their way through the streets of An’gang-ni. The next day, advancing from the west in the II Corps sector, a battalion of the ROK 7th Division linked up with elements of the Capital Division, closing a two-week-old gap between the ROK I and II Corps. The NKPA’s 12th Division waged a series of stubborn delaying actions against the Capital Division in the vicinity of Kigye as the North Koreans retreated northward into the mountains.

22 September 1950

Kigye fell back under South Korean control on September 22, 1950.[4]