Unit Details

NKPA 15th Division

III Corps

15th KPA Division This Division was organized in March 1950 from the 7th, 8th, and 9th Youth Democratic Branch Training Schools, which were redesignated the 48th, 49th, and 50th Infantry Regiments, respectively, and Chinese Communist-trained cadres. Later order of battle reports list the Division assigned the 45th, 48th, and 50th Infantry Regiments.


Regiments 45, 48, 50


15th Division (North Korea)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 15th Infantry Division was a military formation of the Korean People's Army during the 20th Century. The division fought in the 1950 Korean War; it took part in the North Korean advance from Sŏul to Taejon, and fought in the Battle of Pusan Perimeter.[1] The 15th Division fought along the eastern coast, above Pusan, eventually being annihilated.[2]

July 12, 1950

The N.K. 15th Division, meantime, joined the attack after following the 7th Division from Ch'unch'ŏn to Wŏnju. At Wŏnju, the 15th veered westward, passed through Yŏju, then turned south, clearing the town of Changhowŏn-ni after a stiff battle with ROK forces.

By 12 July, the 15th occupied Koesan, eighteen miles northwest of Mun'gyŏng.  See map Wŏnju to Yŏju to Changhowŏn


August 5

 A tabulation of estimated enemy strength by major units as of 5 August follows: [15-58]

Unit Strength
1st Division 5,000
2nd Division 7,500
3rd Division 6,000
4th Division 7,000
5th Division 6,000
6th Division 3,600
8th Division 8,000
12th Division 6,000
13th Division 9,500
15th Division 5,000
105th Armored Division (40 tanks) 3,000
83rd Motorized Regiment (detachedfrom 105th Armored Division) 1,000
766th Independent Infantry Regiment 1,500

No reliable figures are available for the number of enemy tanks destroyed and for tank troop casualties of the 105th Armored Division by 5 August, but certainly they were high. There were only a few tank replacements during July.


August 8, 1950

8/8/50 The other two regiments, the 48th and 50th, departed Kŭmch'ŏn later and began crossing the Naktong between Indong and Waegwan before dawn of 8 August. The men waded the river in four feet of water at two ferry sites, four and six miles north of Waegwan. Tanks and vehicles crossed on an underwater bridge at the upper ferry site. The major initial crossing occurred at the upper ferry site six miles from Waegwan where an estimated two battalions and at least two tanks had crossed by 0810. The North Koreans supported this crossing by direct tank fire from the west side of the river. The Air Force estimated seven tanks were in firing position there. These tanks evidently succeeded in crossing the river during the day. The N.K. 15th Division seized Hills 201 and 346 on the east side of the river at the crossing site, before advancing eastward into the mountains toward Tabu-dong, seven air miles distant. [19-12]