Hr.Ms. Evertsen (D-802)



" 07-07-1950 / 18-04- 1951


FA Cleemputte: eyewitness to the Royal Navy at war
Hr. Ms. Evertsen (D802)
Menu <<<
Print page
Print Article
On 30 August 1948 FA Cleemputte transferred to the Navy Yard Willemsoord in Den Helder, where Hr. Ms. Evertsen (2) was for major maintenance. This destroyer was in 1946 in Dutch service came after the Royal Navy was bought to replace the destroyer of the Admiral class with the same name. The large 1750 tonnes and over 110 meters long vessel was in 1941 put on stack at the construction site of Cammell Laird & Co.. to Birkenhead in Great Britain and in 1943 hired by the Royal Navy as HMS Scourge.
On 1 December 1948 Hr. Ms. Evertsen (2) back into service by Commander LTZ 1 DJ by Nick and Floor of Cleemputte was sergeant of the main battery: four 12cm guns in some setups. Outside its normal function as artillery NCO Floor did the administration of the wine shop of the NCO stay. This meant that he kept the purchase and sale of the beverage was consumed in this residence. Already on January 7, 1949 left the Evertsen for a period of 18 months to Indonesia by the Netherlands at that time still not recognized as an independent country. The sailor from Terneuzen would initially be broadcast only for nine months but that would otherwise expire.
On 25 June 1950, South Korea invaded when North Korean troops crossed the 38th parallel. North Korea was liberated from Japanese occupation by Soviet troops and had become a communist dictatorship under Kim Il-Sung. This convinced Stalin and the new Chinese leader Mao Zedong sure that within a few weeks he could conquer South Korea, which was liberated by American troops, and the country for the communist cause could win. The communist leaders gave their approval and in only six weeks, the weak South Korean troops and rushed American units reduced to the extreme southeastern tip of the Korean peninsula.
The President of the United States, Harry Truman, alarmed the United Nations quickly decided the northern aggressor to stop. Many countries decided troops or ships to Korea to send. The Netherlands also saw it as a duty as a member of the United Nations to contribute. The government gave the Navy Commander in Indonesia, Vice Admiral FJ Kist, the command to Evertsen war as soon as possible to prepare. As soon as possible, the Dutch destroyer included in the dock in Surabaya for necessary maintenance. When these were completed, the necessary supplies brought on board and the amount of ammunition, torpedoes and depth charges `s made up to full war provision.
On July 7, 1950 departed Hr. Ms. Evertsen (2) from the Cruiser Quay in Surabaya to Hong Kong where the destroyer 5 days later arrived and moored on the buoy. A day later, oil tanker loaded from the British War Afridi and the course was put to Japan. Way was possible practiced with special attention being paid to it as soon as possible post come from the gun crews. A heavy and busy time for the Major constable from Terneuzen because he was in charge of the crews of the 12cm guns. On July 14, between China and Formosa, was passed on war watch: six hours and six hours. On 16 July the Dutch ship moored in the port of Sasebo Japan where she was assigned to the U.S. Seventh Fleet.
The Evertsen was ordered to patrol in the Yellow Sea, west of Korea at the 38th parallel. Also she had to provide fire support to troops and bombard targets ashore. In between were escorted troop transports and tankers. On August 9, 1950 disaster hit. During a patrol near the island Fokusa Sho, south of the Korean peninsula, ran Hr. Ms. Evertsen (2) on a reef during a zigzag course which was held in connection with submarine danger. The damage was very large and some rooms was full of seawater. The Ship Security Service (SBD) prevented more areas were submerged by the right places hatches and doors with struts and braces to close. With portable pumps was much water as possible from the room pumped.
The ship was heeling to port and the commander had a distress signal from do go to the Admiralty in Hong Kong. The cruiser HMS Kenya and the hunters HMS Cossack and Cockade rushed to the scene of the disaster. These vessels yielded additional portable pumps and a large supply of wood to further shoring and bracing to apply. In total there are 45 places braced. That night took the damaged HMS Cockade Dutch destroyer in tow. Two days after the accident, the towing line taken by the tug USS Cree that the battered ship in the port of Sasebo brought.
On 1 September 1950, FA Cleemputte promoted to chief constable, a rank comparable to sergeant, the highest rank as sergeant. After 24 years of studying, training courses and hard work, the constable from the Terneuzen, provisionally, highest level reached a sailor, with his training, could achieve. A major achievement given the circumstances in which a large part of which took place 24 years.
Meanwhile, the American General McArthur appeared on the battlefield, and under his leadership took place on 15 September at Inch'ŏn landing place on the west coast of South Korea not far from the capital Sŏul. The result was that at the end of that month, nearly all of South Korea in the hands of the United Nations and that the capital was recaptured. After an ultimatum to the North Koreans, which was not responded, nudging the troops of the UN far beyond the 38th parallel. The result was that Mao Zedong sent troops to its communist allies to assist. As a result, the UN troops again pushed back and created a situation that went up and down for both parties.
The damage to Hr.Ms. Evertsen (2) was too big to Sasebo to recover and after temporary repairs the ship went on its own way to the Naval Dockyards in Hong Kong where the ship on 25 September in the dock was recorded.
Four days later Floor in charge of the entire artillery installation aboard the Evertsen him the rank chief constable yielded guns. He was now, after the artillery officer, the senior who led issues concerning gun issues, including anti-aircraft battery consisted of two 40mm and eight 20mm guns. Moreover, he was entirely responsible for the maintenance of the artillery and the training of the gun crews.
On 25 November left the fully restored Dutch destroyer the port of Hong Kong, came a week later in Japan and was reused for the tasks under the flag of the United Nations. These tasks consisted mainly of conducting patrols and protecting U.S. aircraft carriers. In early March 1951, the Evertsen the command to execute a bombing at Wŏnsan on the east coast of North Korea. The impacts were observed by a U.S. helicopter and if necessary corrected. The bombing was a success thanks to the skill of the artillery officer, the chief constable guns and artillery crews.
On 18 April 1951 inc Hr. Ms. Van Galen (2) off in Hong Kong alongside the Evertsen. After nine months, the destroyer finally relieved. Six days later, the ship home while Van Galen made ​​his way to Japan. On June 2 the Evertsen arrived, after an absence of nearly two and a half years, finally in the Netherlands.
The Korean War dragged on without any of the parties improved greatly. The peace negotiations, which were initiated already in 1951 were still in failure. Especially the obstinacy of Stalin played a major role. The exchange of prisoner of war was the Soviet leader the biggest stumbling block. Stalin died in March 1953 and since then have been successes in the diplomatic efforts to end the conflict. On 27 July, in Panmunjom, a village on the 38th parallel, an armistice was signed. The now abandoned village is now in the demilitarized zone that still enemy countries North and South Korea separates.
Hr. Ms. Evertsen (2) was in 1956/57 converted to fast frigate and got the name F803 signal. In the late '50 and early '60 was the Evertsen involved in the fight against Indonesia for the preservation of New Guinea. On 13 December 1962 the ship was put out of service and on 12 July of the following year sold for scrap to Hendrik Ido Ambacht.