Unit Details

3rd ROK Infantry Division

Various Documents


Division Organization

CG Commanding General

Rank Name From To Status
Col Yu Sung Yul      
 BGen  Lee, Chu Sik  July 12, 1950    
  Brig. Gen. Kim Suk Won 8/9/50    

ADC Assistant Division Commander

Rank Name From To Status

Division Artillery

Rank Name From To Status

CofS Chief of Staff

Rank Name From To Status

G-1 Personnel

Rank Name From To Status

G-2 Intelligence

Rank Name From To Status

G-3 Plan sand Operations

Rank Name From To Status

G-4 Logistics

Rank Name From To Status




18 18th
22 22nd
23 23rd


Division Capital  1st  2nd  3rd  5th  6th  7th   8th
1st             1st  
2nd           2nd    
3rd 3rd              
3rd             3rd  
5th     5th          
7th           7th    
8th 8th              
9th             9th  
10th               10th
11th   11th            
12th   12th            
13th   13th            
15th         15th      
16th     16th          
17th 17th              
18th       18th        
19th           19th    
20th         20th      
21st               21st
22nd       22nd        
23rd       23rd        
25th     25th          

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search


 The 22nd Regiment, the 3rd Engineer Battalion, and the 57-mm. antitank company of the ROK 3rd Division also started north from Taegu that night.

This article needs attention from an expert on the subject. See the talk page for details. WikiProject Military history or the Military history Portal may be able to help recruit an expert. (November 2008)
3rd Infantry Division

Active Formed May 12, 1949
Country Republic of Korea
Branch Army
Type Infantry


The 3rd Infantry Division is a unit of the Republic of Korea Army. First formed as the 3rd brigade on December 1, 1947. On December 24, 1949, the division conducted Mungyeong massacre.[1] The unit was upgraded to a division on May 12, 1949.

The Division consists of the 18th, 22nd and 23rd Regiments.[2]

Was under direct control of the Republic of Korea Army after the first fall of Sŏul.

Was part of the defensive line to slow the North Korean advance from Sŏul to Taejon.

Fought in the Battle of Pusan Perimeter.[3]

After the breakout from the Pusan Perimeter, fierce battles were fought in the harbor village of Pohang between the 3rd Division and the NKPA’s 5th Division. The 3rd finally captured the village during the morning of the twentieth. They continued to attack aggressively, forcing a disorderly withdrawal by the NKPA toward Yŏngdök.[4] During the course of the war, the 3rd Infantry Division took part in over 150 battles, killing and capturing more than 51,000 enemy soldiers.[5]



July 12, 1950


The next day [12th], young Brig. Gen. Lee Chu Sik arrived on the east coast to assume command of the division.

July 14, 1940

As the east coast battle shaped up, it became apparent that it would be of the utmost importance to have a fire direction center to co-ordinate the 81-mm. mortars, the artillery, the fighter aircraft, and the naval gunfire.


Such a center was set up in a schoolhouse south of Yŏngdök with Capt. Harold Slater, the KMAG G-3 adviser to the 3d Division, in charge of it and Capt. John Airsman as artillery adviser. The ROK 3d Division artillery at this time consisted of three batteries of four 75-mm. pack howitzers and one battery of 105-mm. howitzers.


June 25, 1950 1430


Acting in accordance with plans previously prepared, it began moving reserves to the north of Sŏul for a counterattack in the vital Uijŏngbu Corridor. The ROK 2nd Division at Taejŏn was the first of the divisions distant from the Parallel to move toward the battle front. The first train with division headquarters and elements of the 5th Regiment left Taejŏn for Sŏul at 1430, 25 June, accompanied by their American advisers.


By dark, parts of the 5th Division were on their way north from Kwangju in southwest Korea.


The 22nd Regiment, the 3rd Engineer Battalion, and the 57-mm. antitank company of the ROK 3rd Division also started north from Taegu that night.


During the 25th, Capt. James W. Hausman, KMAG adviser with General Chae, ROK Army Chief of Staff, had accompanied the latter on two trips from Sŏul to the Uijŏngbu area. General Chae, popularly known as the "fat boy," weighed 245 pounds, and was about 5 feet 6 inches tall.

Korean_War Korean_War

General Chae's plan, it developed, was to launch a counterattack in the Uijŏngbu Corridor the next morning with the 7th Division attacking on the left along the Tongduch'ŏn-ni road out of Uijŏngbu, and with the 2nd Division on the right on the P'och'on road. In preparing for this, General Chae arranged to move the elements of the 7th Division defending the P'och'on road west to the Tongduch'ŏn-ni road, concentrating that division there, and turn over to the 2nd Division the P'och'on road sector. But the 2nd Division would only begin to arrive in the Uijŏngbu area during the night. It would be impossible to assemble and transport the main body of the division from Taejŏn, ninety miles below Sŏul, to the front above Uijŏngbu and deploy it there by the next morning.


Brig. Gen. Lee Hyung Koon, commander of the 2nd Division, objected to Chae's plan. It meant that he would have to attack piecemeal with small elements of his division. He wanted to defer the counterattack until he could get all, or the major part, of his division forward. Captain Hausman agreed with his view. But General Chae overruled these objections and ordered the attack for the morning of 26 June.


The Capital Division at Sŏul was not included in the counterattack plan because it was not considered tactical and had no artillery. It had served chiefly as a "spit and polish" organization, with its cavalry regiment acting as a "palace guard."

On 15 August, following reports from KMAG of the critical condition of the ROK 3rd Division, General Walker ordered its evacuation by sea. To permit the ROKs to hold their little perimeter until shipping could be assembled, fire support was essential. This support was effectively given by the USS Helena (CA-75) task element, which also provided medical supplies by helicopter, and motor gasoline, brought up by destroyer from Pusan, by whaleboat.