1st Battalion attached to the 19th IR
2nd Battalion none
3rd Battalion attached to the 19th IR
|LtCol||Wesley C. Wilson,|
|Pvt||SHAW, WILLIAM RAYMOND [PVT MedCo29thIR]||7/27/1950||KIA|
Reactivated on the island of Okinawa in May, 1949, the 29th Regiment was attached to the 24th and 25th Divisions from 24 July 1950 to 5 September 1950. The 1st and 3rd Battalions suffered heavy losses during fighting in the vicinity of Chinju, Masan, and during the establishment of the Pusan perimeter in the Korean War. The regiment returned to Okinawa in September 1950 where it remained until it returned to Fort Benning in November 1954.
29th Infantry Regiment Coat of arms
Formed March 3, 1901-Oct 1946;
reactivated May 1949-July 2007
Country United States
Role Training Part of United States Army Training and Doctrine Command Garrison/HQ Fort Benning, Georgia
Nickname Pioneers (special designation) 
Motto "We Lead the Way"
Colors Blue & white
Philippine Insurrection World War II
*Battle of the Bulge/ Korean War
Distinctive unit insignia
The 29th Infantry Regiment ("Pioneers") is a unit of the United States Army first formed in 1813.
Constituted 2 February 1901 as the 29th Infantry. Organized 5 March 1901 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois. Assigned to the 17th Division 29 July 1918; relieved from the 17th Division 10 February 1919. Assigned to the 4th Division 1 October 1933 with duty station at Fort Benning, Georgia; relieved from the 4th Division 16 October 1939. Participated in the Louisiana Maneuvers 6-30 May 1940. Assigned 1 June 1942 to the Replacement and School Command with Infantry School Brigade. Transferred to Fort Jackson, South Carolina 5 May 1943 and staged at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts 30 July 1943 until departed the Boston Port of Embarkation 7 August 1943. Arrived in Iceland 13 August 1943 and departed 5 February 1944; arrived in England 8 February 1944. Committed to combat in the European Theater of Operations and landed in France 27 August 1944 where it guarded lines of communication. Moved to Belgium 19 December 1944 and defended the Meuse River crossings. Entered Germany 9 April 1945. The unit was at Frankfurt, Germany at the end of World War II (15 August 1945 location). Served in the Army of Occupation of Germany from 2 May-31 October 1945. Inactivated in Germany 31 October 1946.
Activated 1 May 1949 on Okinawa.
Of the eleven infantry battalions requested by General MacArthur in early July to make up shortages within the infantry divisions of the Far East Command, two battalions from the 29th Infantry Regiment on Okinawa
19th Infantry Regiment on Okinawawere the first to arrive in Korea. The history of these units between the time they were alerted for probable combat use in Korea and their commitment in battle shows the increasing sense of urgency that gripped the Far East Command in July, and how promises and estimates made one day in good faith had to be discarded the next because of the growing crisis in Korea. And it also shows how troops not ready for combat nevertheless suddenly found themselves in it.
About the middle of July, Maj. Tony J. Raibl, Executive Officer, 3d Battalion, 29th Infantry Executive Officer, 3rd Battalion, 19th Infantry,, learned in Tokyo that the Far East Command expected that the regiment would have at least six weeks' training before being sent to Korea. 
Yet, immediately after making that estimate, the Far East Command issued orders to the regiment on 15 July to prepare for movement.
All troops were placed in two battalions, the 1st and 3rd. Lt. Col. Wesley C. Wilson commanded the 1st Battalion and Lt. Col. Harold W. Mott, the 3rd Battalion. The regimental headquarters was to remain behind as a nucleus for a new regiment that would assume responsibility for the ground defense of Okinawa.
July 24, 1950
Instead, when the two battalions (1&3/29) disembarked at Pusan the morning of 24 July orders from Eighth Army awaited them to proceed to Chinju. There they would be attached to the 19th Infantry Regiment.
Committed to combat in Korea 27 July 1950.
On 5 September 1950 the 1st Battalion with Medical Platoon was integrated into the 35th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division.
On 5 September 1950 the 3d Battalion with Medical Platoon was integrated into the 27th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division.
Like just about all other Regular Army Regiments in 1950 the 29th had only 2 battalions, the lst and 3d (courtesy J McKeon)
Assigned to the 23d Infantry Division 2 December 1954; relieved from the 23d Infantry Division 1 March 1956.
Reorganzied 25 May 1957 as the 29th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDITS (Philippine Insurrection):
Streamer without inscription. (World War II): Northern France Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace Central Europe (Korean War): UN Defensive DECORATIONS
Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered NAN RIVER (lst
Battalion, 29th Infantry cited per DA GO 49, 1951 as amended by DA GO 103,
1952). COAT OF ARMS: SHIELD: Per fess argent and azure, in chief on a mount
issuant a mango tree proper, in base saltirewise a bayonet and a bolo of the
first, hilted or. CREST: On a wreath of the colors argent and azure, a lamp of
knowledge or, flamed gules. MOTTO: We Lead the Way. The coat of arms was
originally approved 24 May 1923 and amended to change the motto from Latin to
English, 24 March 1924. SYMBOLISM: White and blue are the old and present
Infantry colors. The mango tree, the crossed bolo of the Filipino, and the
bayonet of the regiment represent service in the Philippine Insurrection. The
regiment's long association with ther Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia
is indicated by the classic lamp of learning in the crest. DISTINCTIVE INSIGNIA:
The distinctive was originally approved 28 July 1924 and amended to add a crest
on 31 January 1939. 1SG Charles W. Aresta, the Hawaiian Military Insignia
Collectors and Study Group.
Reactivated on the island of Okinawa in May, 1949, the 29th Regiment was attached to the 24th and 25th Divisions from 24 July 1950 to 5 September 1950. The 1st and 3rd Battalions suffered heavy losses during fighting in the vicinity of Chinju, Masan, and during the establishment of the Pusan perimeter in the Korean War. The regiment returned to Okinawa in September 1950 where it remained until it returned to Fort Benning in November 1954
The first 29th Infantry was constituted on 29 January 1813, and saw service in the War of 1812. Following this, the regiment was merged with the 6th Infantry.
The second 29th Infantry was constituted on 3 May 1861, as the 3rd Battalion of the 11th Infantry, one of the nine "three-battalion" regiments of regulars, each battalion containing eight companies of infantry, in contrast to the original ten regular regiments of infantry, which were organized on the traditional ten-company line.
Following the Civil War, the Army was reorganized by Congress in July 1866, and the 11th was divided into three regiments, each battalion receiving two additional companies and being organized along traditional lines.
The 1st Battalion retained the designation of the 11th Infantry, while the 2nd Battalion became the 20th Infantry and the 3rd Battalion the 29th Infantry.
The 29th Infantry was disbanded in the 1869 reduction of the Army to 25 regiments.
The present 29th Infantry was created by Congressional order on 2 February 1901. The regiment actually formed on 3 March 1901 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois under the command of Colonel W.M. Van Horn.
One year after its organization, the 29th set sail from San Francisco for the Philippines. The regiment served with distinction on the islands of Cebu, Panay, and Negros. After quelling the insurgency, the regiment remained to suppress bandits until its departure in April, 1904.
The 29th performed garrison duties in Utah and Arizona until 1907, when it returned to the Philippines.
In 1909 it was transferred in garrison duties in upstate New York, where it remained until 1915, when it was dispatched to Panama for duty guarding the Panama Canal.
The regiment participated in a number of jungle exercises, and also guarded German prisoners of war.
The 29th left Panama in September 1918 and arrived at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana shortly thereafter.
The regiment was assigned to the newly-formed 17th Division, which was preparing to sail to Europe. In late September an epidemic of influenza struck which delayed preparations. By the time the epidemic was over, the Armistice of 1918 had been signed, ending the war in Europe.
The regiment remained in Camp Shelby, Mississippi demobilizing troops returning from overseas.
In 1919, the 29th arrived at Camp Benning and immediately assumed the duties of the Demonstration Regiment for the then-new Infantry School. In addition, it was given the mission of actually building the post. For eight years the men of the 29th lived in tents while they built the Cuartel Barracks, Gowdy Field, and Doughboy Stadium, among other things. During this time the regiment adopted the motto "We Lead The Way" in light of its mission as Demonstration Regiment and trainers for the Infantry School.
When the United States entered World War II, the 29th Infantry moved to Iceland, where it defended the rocky coastline until shipped to England in preparation for the invasion of Europe.
In December, 1944 the regiment deployed to France where it provided security to the "Red Ball Express", the supply route which kept the armored thrust rolling into Germany. During the "Battle of the Bulge", the regiment secured and defended river crossings along the Meuse River in the vicinity of Namur and Liege, Belgium.
The Regiment saw heavy combat near Jemelle and Rochefore, Belgium and was then deactivated in October, 1946.
The 29th served in the Army of occupation at Frankfurt on Main and then in the Bremen Enclave near Bremerhaven at Camp Grohn.
Reactivated on the island of Okinawa in May, 1949, the 29th Regiment was attached to the 24th and 25th Divisions from 24 July 1950 to 5 September 1950.
July 24, 1950
Arrival of 29th RCT in Korea from Okinawa.
The 1st and 3rd Battalions suffered heavy losses during fighting in the vicinity of Chinju, Masan, and during the establishment of the Pusan perimeter in the Korean War.
The regiment returned to Okinawa in September 1950 where it remained until it returned to Fort Benning in November 1954.
Official photo, January 5, 2007 During the time between the World Wars, the 29th Infantry Regiment trained infantry soldiers and leaders, demonstrated tactics and tested innovations in Infantry warfare at Fort Benning including providing soldiers for the first parachute unit in the U.S. armed forces. On July 17, 2007, Headquarters & Headquarters Company, 29th Regiment, was deactivated and reflagged 197th Infantry Brigade to follow suit with the rest of the Army under the regimental system. 1st Battalion and 2nd Battalion, 29th Infantry Regiment, remain flagged as such, and continue to provide support the United States Army Infantry School. Today, elements of the 29th Infantry Regiment are located at Fort Benning, GA. The 1,300 officers, noncommissioned officers, soldiers, and civilians assigned to 1st and 2nd Battalion provide instruction in courses that train privates to colonels on and in a wide variety of subjects and equipment; subject matter expertise for the development and evaluation of new doctrine and equipment; support Reserve Component units in their periodic training; provide troops, vehicles, and equipment to support Infantry School resident instruction; and have proponency for a variety of field manuals. Courses In its role under the United States Army Infantry School, the battalions of the 29th Infantry Regiment provides training to the soldiers of the US Army. Below is a list of the courses currently taught by the 29th: Anti-Armor Leader Course Bradley Transition Course Bradley Master Gunner Combat Leader Course Combat Lifesaver Certification Combatives Course Infantry Mortar Leader Course Maintenance Instructions Javelin Course Mechanized Leaders Course Mechanized Leaders A3 Course Small Unmanned Aerial vehicle Course Sniper School Stryker Leaders Course Stryker Transition Course  Active battalions 1st Battalion (Mechanized / Stryker) - "Outriders" 2nd Battalion - "Pioneers"