After allocating F-51's to the provisional squadron at Taegu, FEAF had enough of these conventional fighters remaining in its theater stocks to equip another squadron for service in Korea. Someone from FEAF reported that the old Japanese airfield on the east coast of Korea near the town of P'ohang could be repaired for Mustang operations, and after a flight over the area on 7 July General Timberlake and Lt. Col. William S. Shoemaker, the staff engineer at Advanced Headquarters, made the decision to develop P'ohang Airfield (K-3).
July 10, 1970
Already Company A of the 802d Engineer Aviation Battalion had loaded aboard an LST at Naha Harbor, Okinawa, and on the night of 10 July it arrived in Yŏngil Bay, off P'ohang Airfield.'
July 12, 1950
Unloading its equipment across the beaches, Company A began work on 12 July, its immediate task being to put a 500-foot pierced steel plank (PSP) extension on the existing runway, to construct a taxiway, and to build 27 hardstands for Mustangs.#72
Because he remained responsible for the air defense of Japan and for the logistical support of Air Force units in Japan, General Partridge had no choice but to divide his head-quarters into two echelons.
July 14, 1950
On 14 July he activated Headquarters and Head-quarters Squadron, Fifth Air Force (Advance) at Itazuke. At this time Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron, Fifth Air Force (Rear), continued to function at the old station in Nagoya.' #117
August 10, 1950
In an official delineation of mission responsibilities, the Taegu headquarters was charged with the direction of the tactical air war in Korea. The Nagoya headquarters, soon to be commanded by Brig. Gen. Delmar T. Spivey, who assumed the duty as a Fifth Air Force vice-commander on 10 August, supervised the air defense of Japan and attended to air logistical and administrative matters in Japan. "1188