Unit

41st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

41st Flying Training Squadron

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  

41st Flying Training Squadron

 14th Flying Training Wing T-6 Texan II
Active 1940-1960; 1990-1997; 1998-present
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Role Pilot Training
Part of Air Education and Training Command
Garrison/HQ Columbus Air Force Base
Nickname(s) Flying Buzzsaws
Engagements Southwest Pacific Theater
Korean War
Decorations Distinguished Unit Citation
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Philippine Presidential Unit Citation
Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation
Commanders
Current
commander
Lt Col. Derek "Shades" Oakley
Insignia
41st Flying Training Squadron emblem (approved 10 May 1990)
41st Pursuit Squadron emblem (approved 4 October 1941)

 

 

41st FIS F-86D 52-9989 over Japan, 1955

 

 

F-80s - Johnson Air Base - (Deployed at Misawa AB, Japan), January 1951

The 41st Flying Training Squadron is part of the 14th Flying Training Wing based at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi. It operates Beechcraft T-6 Texan II aircraft conducting flight training.

The squadron's mission is to train future Air Force military aviators in Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training Phase 2 in the T-6A. Additionally, the 41st trains several foreign military pilots each year in the T-6, through both Foreign Military Sales program and the international Aviation Leadership Program. To accomplish its mission, the squadron annually flies over 17,200 sorties and 22,000 flight hours. The squadron also qualifies and sustains 80-90 mission-ready T-6 instructor pilots. The "Flying Buzzsaws" are currently commanded by Lt Col Derek "Shades" Oakley.

History

The squadron flew antisubmarine patrols off the coast of Washington from 14 December 1941 – 21 January 1942. It then went on to fly combat sorties including patrol, escort, and close air support in Southwest and Western Pacific areas from, 23 July 1942 – 14 August 1945. The squadron also flew air defense of Japan during the Korean War, by then being designated the 41st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron. It conducted academic training for pilots and managed the accelerated copilot enrichment training program from, 1990–1991 and has conducted student flight training since 1998.

Lineage

Activated on 1 February 1940
Redesignated 41st Fighter Squadron on 15 May 1942
Redesignated 41st Fighter Squadron, Single-Engine on 14 February 1944
Redesignated 41st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron on 20 January 1950
Discontinued and inactivated on 8 March 1960
Activated on 10 January 1990
Inactivated on 15 May 1991

Assignments

Stations

Detachments operated from Misawa Air Base, Japan 6 September 1950 – August 1951 and Niigata Air Base, Japan c. 25 May 1951 – 31 October 1954

Aircraft operated